[debian-knoppix] make bootdisk for booting from usb

Hello,
I want to install Knoppix on a external USB-HDD.
My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't support booting via USB.
So I want to make a special boot CD or floppy that does the boot process and
loads the usb modules. After that the system operation should be handed over
to the installed OS.
I tried to make the boot disk like described at:
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

But I din't succeed in making the new modified boot.img. Do you have a hint
how I can make my disk with the changed files (in a certain directory)
bootable?
mkisofs -... ?

At the end I want to have a full running system on a usb drive that I will be
able to plug in anywhere. That's why I don't try to use a bootloader like
LiLo or grub (even don't know if these could make the pc boot from usb).
There are already some posts:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279#1811
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3767#17574
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5460#25005

Did anyone succeed in boot on a without BIOS-support from USB?

Thanks for your help
Holger