[debian-knoppix] Fwd: knoppix install: autoconfiguration segmentation fault

----- Forwarded message from Mark Furner <Mark.Furner@Bigfoot.com> -----

Hello!

I am a fan of Knoppix, have installed it before, but am having problems
installing it onto an old NT server with 128 MB RAM but keep getting
segmentation fault warnings during the hardware devices
autoconfiguration. I've not found anything in the newsgroups or
internet.

Various command line "No... " options don't seem to help (nowheelmouse,
nopcmcia, noscsi, noagp). I also tried the pci=irqmask=... option in the
cheat codes documentation, but this did not help either. The fault
occurs just before the AGP is configured (unknown video card: a S3
Savage4 PCI card with 8 MB video RAM).

The result is that the Logitech wheel mouse is not recognised by any of
the windows managers loaded, nor is the 3Com EtherLink PCI ethernet
card. netcardconfig does not find this either. I tried a HD-install but
this did not get me any further.

I can't see any clues to the problem in the dmesg output except for an
unused RAID controller or the failed initialisation of a SCSI card (but
using boot option "noscsi made no difference). But these should not
affect the mouse or ethernet card.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Mark

----- End forwarded message -----