Re: [debian-knoppix] Removing Changelogs to save space

Klaus,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:34:10AM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> You will not like this...

Good forecast ;-)

> I decided to remove the
> (compressed/uncompressed) changelogs of all packages in the
> /usr/share/doc directory in order to be able to make a new release,
> after the compressed KNOPPIX image content got 25 MB too big after the
> most recent updates (without including ANY new packages).

Err, why not remove redundant functionality?  Why have N programs to the
same thing? Why, say, so many mp3 players?

> Reasons why this seems acceptable for me:
>
> 1. Apparently, nobody reads them. (I know this isn't true. _I_ do.  But
> whoever really wants to read the changelogs for a package, knows how to
> download the corresponding source package, and the GPL really demands a
> corresponding changelog present for the SOURCES, not for the binary).

Then why not file bug reports on the packages omitting?  IIRC our Policy
mandates including them. Generalising from some bad apples among maybe 6000
source packages is not fair, IMHO.

> 2. They are always growing in size with each update, and make life hard
> if you are not fond of removing a lot of stuff on each update.

Such is life. Programs adds functionality and get bigger. One of the hats
you are wearing is that of an editor, and sometimes you need to make hard
choices. Removing packages is one.

> 3. They are already compressed, so removing the (currently) 25 MB of
> compressed changelogs frees space for up to 75 MB of uncompressed
> applications.

Isn't that irrelevant as your space constraint is the 700mb for the iso?

I hope you reconsider. An alternative I have adopted for Quantian is to
remove _redundant_ info: E.g. I installed the localepurge package which
removes localised manual pages, but keeps the default ones.

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx