[debian-knoppix] USB Hanging @ Boot

Hello All, First off, a caveat: I'm running a very old version of Knoppix, from March, so this problem may have already been fixed. If so, a quick pointer on how to upgrade a HDD-based install to the latest version would be nice. :-) Anyway, my problem is that I'm getting intermittent system hangs during boot time when dealing with USB. The lines leading up to the freeze (and there are no error messages associated -- the system simply stops responding) are:
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $ Revision: 1.275 $ time 15:50:01 Mar 26 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xe800, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1 I can't seem to pinpoint any one thing that causes this to occur; typically, a power cycle is the only thing that will make the system run again. As an associated issue that may help lead to a fix, I've had severe problems with my keyboard on this system. When attached via PS/2, it's prone to randomly lose the ability to type certain characters, spit out garbage on the console (i.e. "~]42~~3"), etc. I tried buying a new keyboard, to no avail. Next, I figured I had a cheap motherboard, and got a PS/2 to USB converter, thinking I had a bad PS/2 slot. Now, instead of spitting out garbage, the system randomly loses the keyboard altogether -- it will just go offline with no provocation, and not come back until it feels like it. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or something potentially done wrong in my BIOS/OS, but I figure it's close enough to the USB crash problem it's worth mentioning. Any thoughts on this whatsoever are greatly appreciated. Alex Kirk