[debian-knoppix] Ramdrive takes up all the root drive space

I had Debian woody installed to a 4Gb drive with a 2.5Gb root partition and
just over a gig for the home partition. (256Mb swap).

Liked Knoppix, wiped Debian and installed Knoppix to HD. Moved the /home
directory to the other partition.

It seems though that my root drive is now full. /dev/root.old is mounted on
/initrd which I understand to be normal except that according to diskfree,
/initrd is 2.2Gb of which 1.8Gb is free space.

Is there any way to reclaim that 1.8Gb?...

Toosmoky.