Re: [debian-knoppix] knoppix-installer/adding applications

Hallo lists1,

> On Thursday 25 September 2003 19:02, Achim Unger wrote:
> > Hallo Tomasz,
> > > It there a possibility to install knoppix in compressed form.
> > > I gotta v. old machine at boarding house and it has extremally slow CDrom
> > > So I thought that putting KNOPPIX on disk (unfortunatelly, disk is 860MB
> >
> > Yes, you can copy the CD to a partition on the HD and make a
> > Linux or DOS bootpartition, or, boot from a floppy made with
> >
> >  dd if=/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
> >
> > It needs just 720 MB, just what "df" shows for /cdrom. The rest you can use
> > as knoppix homedir;-)
> >
> > greetings
> >
> > Achim
>
> If I copy the cd to a partition as above, will this make it possible to
> apt-get an application that is not included on the cd (quanta plus) without
> remastering?

NO! That is impossible. Perhaps it is enough to copy just some important dirs to the HD and link it to CD, but that would be harder than knx-hdinstall, I think.

> Is there any other way (preferably easyish) of adding an application without
> remastering?  I have several partitions that are permanent that I can write
> to (one of which I use as home, others I use as data partitions), from a
> previous broken linux installation.

A way to use an application would be to compile it from source and put it in its own directories. I have done this with samba, which installs in /usr/local/samba. No other dir is involved. Even smb.conf, which is in /etc/samba in most distros, is put in /usr/local/samba/lib.

But you would probably not consider this an easy way, too. I have once written a script to remaster knoppix. It can be found at http://www.ing-buero-unger.de/prj/knx/index.html. There are also links on this page to other projects dealing with remastering. My script chroots into knoppix and leaves you there, you should know howto apt-get install something.

I must also admit, that I have not testet it with any of the latest versions.

If you have a problem just ask.

Greetings

Achim

eMail    :     Achim.Unger@web.de