Re: [debian-knoppix] Newbie: remastering knoppix on a non-debian partition

As the person who wrote the script that Stephen is using for this (we
are cooperating on a project for a computer holiday camp for kids) ...

We're yet to publish our work, because the camp is so close, and time is
short, but I'd like to release the stuff in a few weeks.

The aspects of our remastering process that may be unusual are;

- use of rsync --daemon on a Knoppix test host to build the remastering
  filesystem on a general purpose Linux host, allowing us to easily and
  quickly revert to the known Knoppix base system in order to repeat our
  customisation steps,

- encapsulating the new functionality we want into a set of Debian style
  packages in a package repository created using apt-ftparchive, so that
  the customisation is just an "apt-get install packagename",

- the use of apt-proxy on the same general purpose Linux host, to
  provide package transfer between the main root of the system and the
  chroot remastering filesystem,

- the use of localepurge to trim the size of the resulting system down,
  since it does not need to be internationalised,

- scripts that ease the process of creating the new image, so that after
  exiting the chroot all we have to do is insert a CD and type a short
  command,

- a script that checks to see that the filesystem will fit, although you
  still need to go through the lengthy compressloop process.

I'm fairly confident that this process could be used with Red Hat 9
system as the remastering host.  We haven't tried it.

http://quozl.linux.org.au/knoppix/ shows the remastering process we're
using, and includes some of the scripts.  This isn't rocket science, I'm
just sharing it to assist others who want to learn a process.  Most of
it was derived from other sources in the Knoppix Wiki.

--
James Cameron