Re: [debian-knoppix] Xserver and text editor

Hallo,

you became root by typing su, or su - and you are not using the textversion of emacs ,right?

Login as root at xdm/kdm. That will work!

Or try "xhost +" before doing su.
But maybe X ist started with -nolisten, try "ps aux | grep nolisten" to verify it. Then you must start X without "-nolisten".

Others are allowed to read and write to yout display then!!!!!!!

I can not remember where it is located, but <cd /etc && grep -r "\-nolisten" * > should show you the lines.

Greetings

Achim

> Hi,
> I'm using ver. 3.2 and I have the following problem:
> when I launch (not as root) a command like "emacs lilo.conf" everything works,
> but when I do it as root, the output is this:
>
> root@Rigel:/etc# emacs lilo.conf
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
> Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
> Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> connections from your machine.
>
> So, how can I solve this problem?
> Thanks adv.,
>
> RIK

Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course!
from: http://humorix.org/slogans.shtml

    ______ _____ __  __ __ __   _
   / __  // ___// / / // //  | / |
  / /_/ // /   / /_/ // // /||// |