[debian-knoppix] Re: random crashes with SMP system

Just a bit of followup, but still no luck with this one ;-(

Looking at syslog, the only suspiscious thing I see is network
timeouts in the last moments before crashing. I don't know
whether this points at the cause or at a symptom, but anyway
seeing that I thought I'd try and generate some sustained
network activity and see what happens. Well what I've seen is
worse than what I thought at first, meaning it crashes even when
booting off the CD. This is true for 6/6/03 (kernel 2.4.20),
26/7/03 (kernel 2.4.21) and 5/9/03 (kernel 2.4.22).
It also holds when running from the HD and a vanilla debian
kernel-image-686-smp (thanks for the suggestion, Matthias).

I found a note on the SuSE site saying "acpi=oldboot" was needed
as a boot parameter for those machines, but this has not worked for
me. Could it possibly be a SuSE-specific kernel patch, that debian
does not understand? BTW, given a kenel version, where are all the
valid boot parameters documented?

Needless to say, if someone has any more suggestion, I'd gladly
try it.