[debian-knoppix] Re: random crashes with SMP system

Hi Klaus,

> Did you install the KNOPPIX image, or did you install Knoppix as a
> normal Debian system with knx-hdinstall or knx-installer?

Both actually. I forgot to mention it, but I have been using first
the so-called "poor man install", which worked fine (for the limited
time I spent with it) and encouraged me to free some space and
install to hard disk, with Franz's knoppix-installer. The installer
did its job nicely, but then unfortunately things started to degrade.

> You may want to try with version 05-09-2003, which contains a reworked
> version of cloop (for accessing the compressed image) and a newer
> Kernel (2.4.22).

I'll probably try that, but it seems unlikely that cloop is the
culprit, since I have problems when running from HD, hence when
no cloop-image is mounted...

> Otherwise, it may just be a hardware problem. You should maybe run
> syslog and trace the output on a console to see if a kernel panic
> occurs.

That sounds interesting. Isn't syslogd started by default?
The crashes are so sudden I don't get to see any message, but then
again I am generally looking at my X session (aren't we spoiled
these days!) Can a panic message be visualised after a reboot,
through dmesg or something? Or were you suggesting I configure
/etc/syslog.conf appropriately ?-)

Thanks and regards.