Re: [debian-knoppix] OT: SuSE, Lindows, & Xandros was: Knoppix installed on HD, and alternatives....

On Thursday 07 August 2003 14:55, Shawn Milochik wrote:
> <snip>

s.

> By the way, did you ever notice that the best distros are based on
> Debian? Knoppix, Xandros, Lindows...  I know that using the word
> "best" may cause religious uproar, but I'm talking ease of use.
> Average-user compatibility.

I never got Deb to install so I gave up on it. After a lot of effort I
did get Gentoo up (sort of) but the effort was tremendous. EasyLinux is
no longer supported but it was very easy.

Slackware is pretty much paint by numbers to install. But you do have to
fiddle to get X-windows up.  I generally just copy over my old
XF86Config when a new release comes out.

Knoppix just slides right in. When I get a good no-fiddle hard disk
install script I will recommend the combo to everyone. Why can't Deb be
that straightforward?

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com