Re: [debian-knoppix] SCO investing in Troll Tech ???

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:24:42PM -0400, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> On September 1, 2003 05:07 pm, Chad Page wrote:
> > That and for our purposes (X11/KDE) Qt is under the GPL.
>
> Not exactly, as far as I remember. The GPL allows anybody to sell their
> product at any price they wish inasmuch as the code remains available for
> anyone to modify and share. Thus Mandrake can sell it's clustering version
> for 2320 USD.
>
> Neither Mandrake, SuSE or Bed Rat are making much profits at the present time.

Neither do proprietary vendors. Just selling software packages (or
useage licenses) just does not seem to be very profitable anymore.
What's your point?

> Whenever they do, mainly if GNOME was to diasppear someday, couldn't some
> small investors ask that Troll Tech get the money they're entitled to? Would
> the employees protest against such a move?
>
> I read this licence ffast about 2 years ago and I'm not presently in much of a
> state to study it. Maybe somebody can provide better information with
> references?

If you are not sure about what's in the license you read 2 years ago, you should
read it again. What's your point?

-Klaus