[debian-knoppix] Don't need "hd?=ide-scsi" anymore?

Maybe this is not such a mystery.  I have Knoppix 6-6-03 installed on a Toshiba laptop.
2.4.21-acpi.  Although I could play music cd's I was having problems mounting cdroms:
When I do mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom

mounting /devscd0 read-only
you must specify the filesystem......

and it fails to mount.
But if I remove the append="hdb=ide-scsi blah" you can mount the drove no problem
also in /var/log syslog I notice some strange errors with the append= line in tact.

: ILI Current sd0b:00: sense key Illegal Request
: Additional sense indicates Illegal mode for this track
: I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 20

/snip/

: ide-scsi: expected 2048 got 4096 limit 2048
: ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected - discarding data

(above 2 lines repeated 20 times w/ different values.)

and yet-
cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus0:
0,0,0     0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'CD-ROM XM-1602B ' '1032' Removable CD-ROM

the drive is STILL on the SCSI BUS
I've read that kernel 2.5? and greater does not need 'ide=scsi' parameter but I am running 2.4.21-acpi.  I won't actually have the cd-r drive for a few days to test it but I would presume that if it's on the SCSI BUS it will work.

I've seen alot of emails and messages about this yet no explaination.  Anybody that can enlighten me?  Thanks alot.