Re: [debian-knoppix] OT: SuSE, Lindows, & Xandros was: Knoppix installed on HD, and alternatives....

On Thursday 07 August 2003 14:55, Shawn Milochik wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Though I woudn't have gone so far as you, I did experience odd and
> > unsatisfying results in my several attempts to use (and like!)
> > Suse...
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I want to have nothing to do with money making machines
> > > such as Xandros, Licorice :) and Lindows.
> >
> > Then you may be missing just the right solution to your problems. I
> > paid my dues over a year ago by signing-up as a "Lindows Insider"
> > even before their initial release, just so I could follow its
> > evolution to maturity.  I'm telling you, this one is quickly
> > getting to the point of being excellent for the total newbie.  Oh,
> > it's persnickety when you use it on multi-boot
>
> <snip>
>

> I agree with both of you on the SuSE bit.  I am testing SuSE Desktop
> 1 for a review for my website, and I can't say I really like it.
> It's not intuitive, and for $600 USD, I'd rather buy a copy of
> Xandros and spend $500 on hardware.
I think in about 7 or more years using Linux I bought a distro just one
time, and that was because of a hardware problem on my machine that
required a CDR. That was Slackware for less than $50.00, maybe about
$30 American.  Since then I have downloaded all releases and more
recently burned them on cdrom. Right now I have copies of SuSe, Debian
Slackware, Knoppix and Gentoo on CDR, all free. I am running Slack,
in the process of building Gentoo (takes lots of overnight downloads)
and use Knoppix as an emergency backup. So why pay $600, or indeed
anything at all? Free means you are also free to discard one distro in
favor of another without cost.

Just my 2c.
--
John Culleton