[debian-knoppix] video recoding/replaying and sound problems

I have the AverTV Studio 203 card on ECS K7S5A mainboard with a
built-in sound card. I have no problem watching TV and hearing the
sound, but when I try to record, the sound is not recorded.

To focus our attention I describe my experiment with Knoppix 3.2 of
2003-05-03.

I use xawtv. In the window "Record a movie" I select

movie driver:          Microsoft AVI (RIFF) format
movie/images filename: knoppix-xawtv.avi
audio format:          16bit stereo (LE)
sample rate:           48000
video format:          MJPEG (AVI)

Other settings are left at their default values:

frames/sec: 12.0 fps
video size: 384x288

Unfortunately, the created file doesn't seem to contain sound. There
is no sound when replaying with pia or xine. You can check yourselves,
because I uploaded the file as

        http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~jsbien/poufne/knoppix-xawtv.avi

I will appreciate very much your suggestions how to diagnose the
problem.

Best regards

Janusz

--