[debian-knoppix] re: Modem problem

This modem is probably a WinModem -- that is, not really a modem at all, but can be used as a modem in Microsoft operating systems because of special software drivers.

Most Winmodems do not work under Linux because the software needed to control them has not been made available by the manufacturers to Open Source developers.

When I was new to Linux, and I couldn't get broadband, I bought a good external serial port modem. They're wonderful, and work with any OS, even DOS, if you wanted to use it there.

To be fair, I should mention that most Winmodems don't work in Windows 2000 or NT, either. At least, in my experience.

Shawn