[debian-knoppix] Modem problem

Using  Knoppix (from the CD)for the first time I have problems getting the modem working.When I first tried,after filling in the account info ,the modem wasn't found.However after poking around in setup the modem now is found and when I try to connect it gets as far as "Modem Initializarion" - the log file says"expected OK" and nothing more happens.
The modem is a Ham Intel fax data voice 56K modem- runs fine on WinME and XP(the PC is dual boot).
perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong here.
Cheers