[debian-knoppix] Knoppix kernel tree ?

Hi,

The question is : which source ttree is used for Knoppix 3.2 ?

And here is the story :
I've an Asus P5A motherboard with a K6-2-500MHz processor.
I bought a new WDC Caviar 40Gb hdd. Due to the 32Gb limitation the BIOS does not found this disk. So I said 'None' in the Bios setup. Linux can find the disk and I can enable dma with it but not udma2 (it is udma2 capable, at least). When I try to setup the udma2 mode, I get :

[root@tangerine] /home/jean-luc # hdparm -X udma2 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting xfermode to 66 (UltraDMA mode2)

Seems to be fine, but when I list the modes of the diisk, it is still in mdma2 mode :
[root@tangerine] /home/jean-luc # hdparm -I /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD400BB-00DEA0 Serial Number: WD-WCAD17328519
        Firmware Revision:  05.03E05
Standards:
        Supported: 5 4 3 2         Likely used: 6

DMA: mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4

If I try to measure the speed with hdpar -tT /dev/hdb, I get a throughput of about 14Mb/s

The interesting part is here :

If I boot Knoppix 3.2 from the CDROM, I can enable the udma2 mode and the throughput is about 23Mb/s. A noticable improvement.

So, I've done the following test : I unpacked a cleane / genuine kernel 2.4.20, I got the config file found in /boot in knoppix and I built a kernel with this config file...

I booted this kernel but I didnt manage to set udma2 mode.

So the question is : what is special in Knoppix that allows to switch udma2 and that I cannot do on my Debian sid system ?

The version od hdparm is the same on the Knoppix CD and on my Debian.

Any idea ?

---
Regards
	jean-Luc