Re: [debian-knoppix] Installer questions/request

Am Montag, 16. Juni 2003 04:04 schrieb lists1:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 06:53, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2003 01:22 schrieb lists1:
> > > Knoppix is great!
> > > The current installer is not...
> >
> > ... known problem ...
> >
> > > Dumping everything into / may be easy for veterans to fix, but it isn't
> > > working for me.  Three attempts, no joy.
> > >
> > > Any chance the next version of the installer will put files into the
> > > correct partitions/directories instead of dumping them in /  ?
> >
> > yes, I was working on that feature ...
> >
> > > I've mentioned a 2.2GB / partition on debian user (and a few other
> > > lists) and no one would believe me.  Or why.
> > >
> > > It may work for someone who only has a few partitions, / , /home, swap,
> > > (or not?) but it doesn't work for those of us with more partitions,
> > > /var, /boot, /etc, /and so on.
> >
> > ok, but heh, a 2.2 GB / partition does also work ... for many of us ...
> >
> > > Also, contrary to what I've read, ReiserFS is NOT supported.  It is
> > > supported if the disk is partitioned and ReiserFS is installed prior to
> > > the Knoppix installer/partitioning, but there is no ReiserFS file
> > > system option in the Knoppix install script as late as the 5/20 version
> > > of Knoppix.
> >
> > Rubbish. I've installed a system with reiserfs and it DID work!
> >
> > What did not work if you selected reiserfs as filesystem ?
>
> I have multiple copies of the 5/20 release of Knoppix and the earlier one,
> I belive 5/03 if I remember correctly.  My first attempt at using the hd
> install script brought me to the partition feature, where all the different
> types of file systems you can select are shown, but nowhere on the screen
> did I see ReiserFS.  I saw choices for many other filesystems, but I didn't
> see any choice for ReiserFS.  I did the install 3 times, and each time I
> took a lot of time to carefully read each choice, and I still didn't find
> ReiserFS as a choice.  Maybe I missed it three times?  Can you post the
> code selection choice here, so that I can use it next time I attempt an
> install?

FSLIST="ext2 second_extended off ext3 journal_extended off reiserfs reiser off
xfs xfs off"
NUMFS=4
$DIA --backtitle "$BT" --title "$T1" --radiolist "$M1" 16 60 $NUMFS \
  $FSLIST 2> $TMP
FSTYPE="`cat $TMP`"

> > > If ReiserFS is made an option, be aware that to install it correctly, I
> > > believe it is still required to reboot after ReiserFS is installed,
> > > prior to continuing the installation.
> >
> > Are you sure ? It did work for me here.
> >
> > > This is slated to change when the new
> > > version of ReiserFS comes out, but I believe the reboot is still
> > > currently required. If this isn't done, error messages, at a minimum,
> > > will result when running the system.

Wrong as far as I consult the FAQ on namesys.com.

Reboot is requiered for all filesystems after repartition under certain
circumstances. (fdisk does then tell: Could not re-read partition table)

But that is no problem specifially to reiserfs....

> > > Bing.
> >
> > So your arguments at the moment are ... in my humble opinion a feature
> > request (to be able to use debian help)
>
> ?
>
> > and a bug, for which I have found
> > nothing ...
> >
> > SuSE 7.0 - 8.2 (who btw. do develop this thinigie) does not reboot after
> > partitioning a reiserfs-partition.
>
> Yes, but if you read the documentation on Reiser's site, he specifically
> mentions that SuSE has successfully developed their installation to avoid

where ?

> the reboot.  And either in the faq, or in other documentation on the site,
> he also specifically states that if a reboot is not performed immediately
> after installation of the current version of ReiserFS, then the error
> messages that one of the faq questions refers to will show up, and related
> problems will result (something having to do with the partition size and
> the size of the ReiserFS not matching, errors that will result due to
> ReiserFS either under reading or attempting to over read the partition
> (don't recall which), etc.
>
> He also states that the new version of ReiserFS, not yet released, will
> avoid the reboot requirement.
>
> I will look for the information I picked up on his site, and post it with a
> link when I get a chance.
>
> > Hm, and I think they have customers, which would have noticed this in 2-3
> > years time.
>
> As I stated above, Reiser states that SuSE has developed their distro to
> avoid the reboot, but if you aren't using SuSE, the reboot is required
> until the new version of ReiserFS is released and included in distros.

That seems to me not very insightful, however I could not find any information
on SuSE doing it the good way ...

> > What I would think, why your installation fails is more:
> >
> > - bad ram
> > - bad cdrom-image (boot with knoppix testcd to see)
> > - bad md5-sum on KNOPPIX-file
>
> Ram has been swapped out for other reasons, and the ram ran the box with
> more than a year of uptime as a web server.
>
> cd rom image, two images of the release prior to 5/20, plus two images of
> the 5/20 release were used,  all of which work fine in other boxes, and
> which check out with md5.
>
> What would bad ram have to do with not seeing ReiserFS as a file system
> selection in the installer?  Or with not distributing the files to a
> partitioned drive?  Those were my main two suggestions.  Suggestions which
> are to make Knoppix easier to use for less experienced users, and hopefully
> make it a better distro.  Not to criticise the developers.

Hm, but as I stated the code above, reiserfs IS in installer.

And with the other thingy, I never had problems with reiserfs needing a reboot
and there is nothing in the FAQ except the common problem, so I think you
mixed something ;-).

cu

Fabian

PS: Thanx for your help though. But it is so difficult to find things without
appropriate links ...