Re: [debian-knoppix] Installer questions/request

On Sunday 15 June 2003 06:53, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 15. Juni 2003 01:22 schrieb lists1:
> > Knoppix is great!
> > The current installer is not...
> ... known problem ...
> > Dumping everything into / may be easy for veterans to fix, but it isn't
> > working for me.  Three attempts, no joy.
> >
> > Any chance the next version of the installer will put files into the
> > correct partitions/directories instead of dumping them in /  ?
>
> yes, I was working on that feature ...
>
> > I've mentioned a 2.2GB / partition on debian user (and a few other lists)
> > and no one would believe me.  Or why.
> >
> > It may work for someone who only has a few partitions, / , /home, swap,
> > (or not?) but it doesn't work for those of us with more partitions, /var,
> > /boot, /etc, /and so on.
>
> ok, but heh, a 2.2 GB / partition does also work ... for many of us ...
>
> > Also, contrary to what I've read, ReiserFS is NOT supported.  It is
> > supported if the disk is partitioned and ReiserFS is installed prior to
> > the Knoppix installer/partitioning, but there is no ReiserFS file system
> > option in the Knoppix install script as late as the 5/20 version of
> > Knoppix.
>
> Rubbish. I've installed a system with reiserfs and it DID work!
>
> What did not work if you selected reiserfs as filesystem ?

I have multiple copies of the 5/20 release of Knoppix and the earlier one, I
belive 5/03 if I remember correctly.  My first attempt at using the hd
install script brought me to the partition feature, where all the different
types of file systems you can select are shown, but nowhere on the screen did
I see ReiserFS.  I saw choices for many other filesystems, but I didn't see
any choice for ReiserFS.  I did the install 3 times, and each time I took a
lot of time to carefully read each choice, and I still didn't find ReiserFS
as a choice.  Maybe I missed it three times?  Can you post the code selection
choice here, so that I can use it next time I attempt an install?

?

> and a bug, for which I have found
> nothing ...
>
> SuSE 7.0 - 8.2 (who btw. do develop this thinigie) does not reboot after
> partitioning a reiserfs-partition.

Yes, but if you read the documentation on Reiser's site, he specifically
mentions that SuSE has successfully developed their installation to avoid the
reboot.  And either in the faq, or in other documentation on the site, he
also specifically states that if a reboot is not performed immediately after
installation of the current version of ReiserFS, then the error messages that
one of the faq questions refers to will show up, and related problems will
result (something having to do with the partition size and the size of the
ReiserFS not matching, errors that will result due to ReiserFS either under
reading or attempting to over read the partition (don't recall which), etc.

He also states that the new version of ReiserFS, not yet released, will avoid
the reboot requirement.

I will look for the information I picked up on his site, and post it with a
link when I get a chance.

> Hm, and I think they have customers, which would have noticed this in 2-3
> years time.

As I stated above, Reiser states that SuSE has developed their distro to avoid
the reboot, but if you aren't using SuSE, the reboot is required until the
new version of ReiserFS is released and included in distros.

> What I would think, why your installation fails is more:
>
> - bad ram
> - bad cdrom-image (boot with knoppix testcd to see)
> - bad md5-sum on KNOPPIX-file

Ram has been swapped out for other reasons, and the ram ran the box with more
than a year of uptime as a web server.

cd rom image, two images of the release prior to 5/20, plus two images of the
5/20 release were used,  all of which work fine in other boxes, and which
check out with md5.

What would bad ram have to do with not seeing ReiserFS as a file system
selection in the installer?  Or with not distributing the files to a
partitioned drive?  Those were my main two suggestions.  Suggestions which
are to make Knoppix easier to use for less experienced users, and hopefully
make it a better distro.  Not to criticise the developers.