Re: [debian-knoppix] Installer questions/request

Hi anonymous coward,

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:22:45 -0400, lists1 wrote:

> Knoppix is great!
>
> The current installer is not...

Feel free to improve it. I wrote knx-hdinstall to get a _quick_ install
of all software included in Knoppix, not as a general Debian installer.

> Dumping everything into / may be easy for veterans to fix, but it isn't
> working for me.  Three attempts, no joy.

Get a minimal clue how Knoppix is built. Everything is _preinstalled_ on the
CD. So there are no separate packages for the installer and
dpkg-repack'ing them first just to install only a few of them takes
extra hard disk space and is very slooow.

> Any chance the next version of the installer will put files into the correct
> partitions/directories instead of dumping them in /  ?

Read /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall, it's a shell script. I won't include
any features in the near future, because my time is very limited and
Fabian is working on a rewrite.

BTW, with moderate Linux knowledge it is easy to move /home, /var and
such to separate partitions after installing.

> Also, contrary to what I've read, ReiserFS is NOT supported.  It is supported

Bullshit. ReiserFS is supported since knx-hdinstall 0.35 (which was
relesed in december 2002).

> if the disk is partitioned and ReiserFS is installed prior to the Knoppix
> installer/partitioning, but there is no ReiserFS file system option in the
> Knoppix install script as late as the 5/20 version of Knoppix.

I didn't remove support for ReiserFS. Has Klaus changed this?
I don't have the time to check each and every release of Knoppix.
Knoppix 3.2 2003-05-03 definitely _has_ ReiserFS support in the
installer.

bye,
  Chris
--