Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:18:58AM -0400, Scott Patterson wrote:

> After sitting on the sidelines for awhile, I'm scratching my head on
> this one. If Knoppix is a bootable _LINUX_ distribution (Live CD), what
> place does Windows software have on it?

Remember, we are talking about the LinuxTag conference CD/DVD here.
LinuxTag is not only about Linux, but about Free Software in general,
which includes GNU/Linux, *BSD and also Free Software for other platforms.

The Knoppix-part of the DVD is of course Linux-only. But why not include
other useful programs that, for example, make it easier for people still
running Windows to switch, like OpenOffice/Win, Putty and similar?

> There are other projects like the Open Source Software CD
> (http://pmw.myip.org/oss/) that cover free software for Window's users.
> I believe Knoppix should focus solely on _LINUX_ software, but, that's
> ultimately up to Klaus.

Right, Knoppix is (currently) a Linux-System. But the DVD will not only
contain Knoppix. but also the Conference papers and some other goodies.
I'm working on the Knoppix part, and forward everything else to the
other members of the DVD mastering team.

> One other thing to consider is that if you
> include Windows software, you're going to start getting support
> questions about it. Please reconsider adding Windows stuff to this CD.

We are already getting all kinds of (windows, too) support questions,
no matter what we put on a CD or DVD. On of the most common questions
in my knoppix-mailbox is, btw, "How do I burn bootable CDs under Windows?".
Honestly, I don't know for sure. I guess there are programs around for
this purpose, or maybe there is a cdrecord for Windows/Cygwin. There is
a FAQ, there are contributed documentation files on the mirrors, there
are forums, and if I can't answer a question, I will just continue
forwarding (hopefully) helpful URLs to people asking.

I for my part think it is important to show that there is also Free
Software for other platforms, independent from the operating system
of your choice.

> Are MAME and MESS on the list of goodies for the DVD? I use the
> following repository for up-to-date packages:

Is this free software? I guess you would need some kind of game files
for mame, no? These are probably not public available/non-free. Correct
me if I'm wrong, please.

> deb http://anarxia.dyndns.org:2180/debian ./
> deb-src http://anarxia.dyndns.org:2180/debian ./

I would prefer software that is available from the genuine Debian
mirrors. That way, chances are good that the license files are correct
and have been double-checked for problems.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org