Re: [debian-knoppix] Advice for using Knoppix on 50 Pentium computers

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 01:50:15PM -0400, Scott Patterson wrote:
> There are three things I'm supposed to provide and what I believe will
> work to achieve that:
> 1. internet access - mozilla, konqueror
> 2. office suite - openoffice
> 3. educational software - ???

As for "educational software", I would recommend having a look at the
freeduc CD (http://www.ofset.org/). There is also the tux4kids project,
which provides some edutainment software that is also present on
freeduc.

> Also, I'm using KDE as I think the added functionality is worth it. I'm
> also running the desktops at 800x600 as the monitors will most likely be
> <=15".

800x600 is not much space for working.

> PS: Is it wise to use the latest version of Knoppix 3.2 (2003-05-20) or
> should I go the official release of version of Knoppix 3.2 (2003-03-30)?
> I guess I'm asking is how do you know what is a stable vs. development
> release?

In what way is 2003-05-20 "non-official"?

As far as I know, the 2003-05-20 release is the most stable and tested
yet. There is, however, no "stable" release, since software seems to get
changed and updated frequently, and the newest versions of any program
packages may or may not work well. No promises, no tears.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org