Re: [OT] Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix HD Installation (trying it again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Massimiliano Mirra" <mmirra@libero.it>
To: "debian-knoppix" <debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 2:02 AM
Subject: [OT] Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix HD Installation (trying it
again)

> Tom Lisjac <netdxr@adelphia.net> writes:
>
> > Incidentally, my wife has been happily running a graphical Linux desktop
> > for over a year. She doesn't know what "CLI" means... and she thinks a
> > shell is something you find on the beach. This is progress! :)
>
> Well, it depends on what you mean by `progress'.  That people seem to
> prefer expressing themselves through gestures rather than verbally
> doesn't really strike me as progress anymore than being able to use a
> TV set is progress over reading and writing.  Luckily we teach our
> kids early to receive and produce information in more powerful ways,
> unluckily we stop at the pen and paper stage.

Well, I agree with that completely. Progress -- the real one -- is progress
with knowledge, not with absence of knowledge. A recent example: working for
a $COMPANY, I found my $BOSS demanding root privileges from me (I am
sysadmin for that company), because she 'couldn't enter any configuration
window, as it requests for password'. Surely, it was all about KDE Control
Panel, which unfortunately contains only dangerous tools. The point is that
she used Win98 previously (anyone of you guys remember that crap?), and its
Control Panel welcomed her. Again, we turn over even not to teaching others
of what is CLI and how it's different from GUI, but also differences between
home and corporate environments.

In good ol' days, users knew what is system personnel for, unlike today...