Re: [debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

El día 28 abr 2003, Gilles Pelletier escribía:
> On April 28, 2003 09:31 am, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>
> >   I'm replaying here to you and Christian Perle. I don't want to
> > repeat twice the same in the same thread :)
>
> No problemo. Excuse my spanish :)
>
> Here are a few considerations about your long post.
>
> To me, once installed on HD (which I haven't done yet because the old
> version I have still had a few problems. But I'll have HS internet
> soon), Knoppix does exactly the same job as Debian. If there are some
> packages I don't need I'll just scrap them.

  Yes. That's good.

> OTOH, the fact that the distro has to be condensed on one CD is also
> an advantage to newbies: they don't have to make software choices
> amongst the content of 6 CDs. They get into Linux faster. When people
> consider there is a better application, they voice their concern here
> and, if Klaus is not aware of this soft, he tries it. If he likes it
> better, he makes the change. If not, he doesn't.

  No, I'm not talking about a 6 CD based distro working like Knoppix.
  You'll get a distro with only what you'll need. You have to
  differentiate between you, a general user which has yet preferences or
  know packages, or (for example) my mother, which only wants to be able
  to browse the Web. For her I'll do a distro with only the needed
  stuff, and I'll put it in a 8cm CD.

  I'm going from one extreme to the other. But try to see what's in the
  middle, as I tried to show in my post: user in corporations
  environments or in goverment agencies, or schools, or... I don't know
  if I'm being clear enough.

> To me and most beginners, having no choice is mainly an advantage.
> Having 6 CD at hand is only useful for people who know very well all
> the applications, almost systematically choose those that are not
> mainstream or have very specific needs, and don't have a high speed
> internet connection.

  Yes. That's one of the points on what metadistros is based on. Please
  read the whitepaper I linked.

> So, all depends on the opinion of one man but I'd rather have this
> than no choice made at all. I for one certainly prefer Galeon to
> Mozilla. So, I'll apt-get Galeon. I can put up a list of my prefered
> applications on my site and if some people find that my choices are
> the same as theirs they will test the other ones on my list.

  Just that it's what Metadistros want to accomplish at last. You could
  have the same config than Miguel de Icaza, Klaus, or Larry Wall (if
  they publish that, of course :)

> As for experts prefering an automatic installation, I htink the same
> as you. Experts are often in a hurry and they'd rather have
> installation take a few minutes than 2 hours searching refresh rates
> for a monitor or what kind of settings a mobo needs. If anything
> doesn't suit them, they can tweak it afterwards.

  But once new debian installer is working, we'll have also hardware
  detection in "normal" installation.

  Of course, if I have at hand a distro I have made for fixing those
  computers, I'll use it. But for that, I need to be able to create it
  easily.

> As for your invitation to collaboration with Debian and Metadistros, I
> can't speak for Klaus, I suppose he will consider it, and certainly,
> he will take from you everything he can steal (as Bob Dylan puts it
> :), but maintaining Knoppix is already a hell of a job, and that's
> where his efforts are going to bear, I believe. He already has a
> whole lot of chipsets detected, but if he forgot one, I suppose you
> can tell him.
>
> For NOW, he ALONE has put out a product that works pretty much
> perfectly, so he'll have to consider if collaboration will make his
> efforts more productive. Of course, the temperature in Andalucia is
> so much better than in Germany in April. Maybe you should invite him
> :)
>
> So, if Klaus ever "refuse to collaborate" in Anadalucia in April, my
> advice would be: take from him everything you can steal. See if you
> can make it any better. It's open source and it's the name of the
> game.

  And as mantaining Knoppix right now is a big effort, why not to help
  him? Let's provide him with a lot of tools he needs in Debian, keep it
  in nice shape, and make Knoppix remasterization easier.
  This doesn't mean saying Klaus: hey, you did a great job. Bye!
  But this mean: hey! your job it's great, and I think that a lot more
  stuff than Knoppix can be made with it. How can we collaborate?

  I'd really like to see Klaus helping, as he's very good at what he
  does. Of course, as you say, this is Free Sotware, and I can get
  things and use whenever I want, but IMO it's much better the other
  way.

  And not only Klaus, there are a lot of people here making nice things,
  as installer or USB memory sticks which can boot Knoppix.

  If all this efforts can be integrated and documented, many more people
  will benefit from this.

  And if Klaus wants to come to Andalucia to talk about Live CD systems,
  metadistros, knoppix and Debian, I think that Hispalinux will be able
  to arrange things.

  Klaus, have you tasted ever Spanish food? :-D

   Cheers
--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org