Re: [debian-knoppix] Boot from USB?

Hello,

On Tuesday, 25. March 2003 13:00, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:27:23AM +0100, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> You could try to exchange the SCSI modules in miniroot.gz by
> firewire/usb modules and change /linuxrc accordingly.
OK that works. :-)

I have booted from USB floppy and then worked with a cloop filesystem
on a USB harddisk.

I have booted from USB Harddisk and then the script find the KNOPPIX
file on the USB Harddisk.

The attached file linuxrc has some problems to go back to KNOPPIX:
I have rename the /modules/scsi to /modules/bootmod.

- The USB module needs time after loading, before linuxrc can search the
knoppix cloop file. The search for the cloop filesystem runs in a loop. So I
never fall to the "(very limited) shell". :-(

- Space on boot disk. :-(

- Unfortunately I can not test the patch with a USB cdrom. My USB cdrom does
not work with linux. :-(

Additional I have problems with great files (example: /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX)
to copy on the USB Harddisk. It seams to be a kernel problem. It this a well
known problem?

All this works only with USB 1.1.

It seams that the kernel people work on USB 2.0 (EHCI) for kernel 2.4.21.
Has anyone a USB 2.0 device running with linux? Speed?

I have tested the boot with 2 Intel 845 based Motherboards. One has
Intel/Ami, one has Phoenix/Phoenix BIOS, both seams to boot with USB 1.1
Has someone a board that boot with USB 2.0 speed?

bye Andreas