[debian-knoppix] Knoppix mastering performance

[Markus == debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org on Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:45:30 +0100]

Markus> How long does the mastering process take on your (please
Markus> specify CPU, RAM, ...)  machine?

35 minutes, start to finish on a 256Mb RAM, single 1500Mhz P4 on a
single ext3 IDE drive.  Includes reading the original ISO, removing
enough packages to produce a 400Mb ISO, and burning the CD (on a 24x
burner).

This is 4 times faster than Achim's report of 2 hours on a similar
machine.  I can't explain that difference.

Markus> Or how is it possible to speed up the mastering process?

Keep the intermediate files around and reuse them.  Copying the
KNOPPIX loopback ISO to a *.iso need only be done once.  Copying all
the files in the ramdisk directory need only be done once.  When I do
that, I can remaster in about 10 minutes.

Markus> Anybody has experience in mastering-performance on a
Markus> dualprocessor machine?

I've got a quad Xeon around, but performance of the remastering
process seems primarily IO-bound.  Do the remaster to a memory-based
file system (tmpfs, whatever) if you can.

-- jared@wordzoo.com

"Truth is a great flirt." -- Franz Liszt