[debian-knoppix] Re: roadmap, packages available via apt

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, sean finney wrote:

> http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian-knoppix/roadmap.txt
Thanks for this.

> also, i've created an apt repository that you can add to your sources.list
> for knoppix-specific stuff.  currently it has everything that built
> without trouble for an unpriviledged user using fakeroot.  i know at
> least one package ftbfs, i'll look into it later.
Does this mean all other packages do have build problems?

> note that these are the packages right off klaus's site, so they still
> have all the various issues talked about in the package audit.   i (and
> whoever else has time/initerest) will now continue with debianizing the
While looking over the packages I tagged with RFP I found out that:

1. k3b is just packaged in the latest version:

      ~> apt-cache show k3b | grep Version
      Version: 0.8.1-3

    So it can be removed from our todo list.

2. Regarding to loop-aes there is just a RFP filed:

      http://bugs.debian.org/111167

   Somebody wants to grab this package?

3. I just filed an RFP bug for sitar.  It will be visible soon in the BTS.

4. What about checkmem.  Is it worth an extra Debian package or should it
   be included as small and useful tool into one of the knopix-* packages.

5. Is e1000 really necessary.  When I compiled a recent kernel I think I
   have seen e1000 support.  Could somebody please comment on this if we
   really need this?

6. isdn-config: I have not dealt with ISDN issues.  Could Someone with ISDNs
   knowledge please comment here whether we nned this as extra package?
   Please compare with Debian packages isdnutils, ipppd or whatever.

What about the cloop issue?  What's the difference to cloop-{module,utils} from
unstable.

> packages, fixing violations, etc, but in the meantime, it's available via
> apt at the following location:
>
> deb http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian-knoppix/packages /
You might perhaps add a list of packages which showed problems.

> i haven't written the script to do it yet, but the bootstrapping
> knoppix should be as simple as[1]:
>
> # debootstrap woody chrootdir
> # echo deb http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian-knoppix/packages / > chrootdir/etc/sources.list
> # chroot chrootdir apt-get update && apt-get install knoppixpkg1 knoppixpkg2 ...
Somethink like that was in my mind.

> [1] you'll need to have a line in sources.list that lists possible dependencies
>     too, of course
I think a good solution would be:

# debootstrap woody chrootdir
# cp /etc/apt/sources.list chrootdir/etc/sources.list
# echo deb http://cs.swarthmore.edu/~finney/debian-knoppix/packages / >> chrootdir/etc/sources.list
# chroot chrootdir apt-get update && apt-get install knoppixpkg1 knoppixpkg2 ...

This just takes the currently used sources.list which might contain local mirrors
or whatever and is just adapted to local user needs, i.e. does what we want.

Thanks for your fine work Sean!

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.
John F. Kennedy