Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix 3.2 bugs/suggestions

Hi Klaus,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 20:31:15 +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:

> Well, but I like links/elinks better, for instance.

The lynx-like keymap of links gives my headache. Navigation in
multicolumn tables is a pain, because the cursor can't be moved freely.
In w3m, the cursor isn't "link bound". BTW, w3m is much smaller than
links. Okay, enough w3m advertisement :-)

> > * Parts of teTeX are broken. Binaries linked against the kpathsea
> >   library do not work as expected. Try dvips and xdvi for example.
>
> I did not notice this yet. How do they not work as expected?

I discovered this by testing LyX. LyX refused to create postscript
output or preview, so I investigated further.

$ cp /usr/share/grace/doc/UsersGuide.dvi .
$ dvips UsersGuide.dvi
dvips: Symbol `kpse_format_info' has different size in share object,
consider re-linking
This is dvips(k) 5.86e Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro

No postscript output file is produced.

$ xdvi UsersGuide.dvi
kpsewhich: Symbol `kpse_format_info' has different size in share object,
consider re-linking
xdvi: Warning: unable to find xdvi.cfg
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600
--dpi 600 ecbi1000
kpsewhich: Symbol `kpse_format_info' has different size in share object,
consider re-linking
[...]
gsftopk: fatal: dvips config file `psfonts.map' not found.
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 600; ignoring mode.
[...]
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map source abbreviation for
ecbi1000.
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update?
[...]
mktexpk: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1+0/600; nonstopmode; input
ecbi1000
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.7)
I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
[...]
(Many errors while attempting to create fonts)
[...]
xdvi.bin: Can't find font cmmi10.600pk
xdvi.bin: Not all pixel files were found

No preview is possible, xdvi does not even open the window.

> > * icewm eats up all memory and won't start.
>
> If you boot with desktop=icewm ?! I thought I had tested this
> thoroughly.

I tested on a machine with 96MB ram and no swap. Icewm should be
lightweight enough to run on this machine.
You can simulate this by using the boot command line:

knoppix desktop=icewm mem=96M noswap

During executing /etc/init.d/xsession, icewm grows up to 66MB and is
finally killed by the kernel. Another test on a machine with 512MB ram
was successful. So icewm needs _huge_ amount of memory when starting.

XFCE runs without problems on the 96MB machine (launched with startxfce
after booting Knoppix in runlevel 2).

> Do you have a different image? On the CeBIT CD, Acorn partition support
> is NOT compiled in.

Sorry, I overlooked it. You are right. Let's hope the Acorn support is
the only one which causes such problems...

> I'd rather prefer vim to have a "force overwrite" mode in which it
> deletes (or renames) the original file before saving a new one. Anyone
> knows if this is possible?

Chris Liechti's hint works, but it is annoying to use :w! instead of :w
each time.

bye,
  Chris
--