Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: remastering Knoppix CD

Hallo Knoppixer,

> > I am currently thinking of improving the script with (X)dialog. That would be more handy. Or has somebody done that already? That could make it more easy to solve Problems like "Please include software xy on Knoppix" :-). That Knoppix could remaster Knoppix, if you have lots of free space on a harddisk.
> While I really like Thomas' script to remaster Knoppix and a flexible usage
> would make perfectly sense I wonder if you might like to join the forces who
> like to address the problem bottom-up, i.e. mastering the ISO from scratch
> from a Debian-Mirror.

... from bottom-up, you mean getting all the packages from the internet?

There are two reasons why I think it will not be very wise (for me):
1) I am limited in download volume to 2 GB per month, but that could be expanded. More important is the next argument.
2) The SW might not work! I have tested modified versions, like kix, and c't and they all have minor problems. The Advantage of knoppix is the collection of software by Klaus (imho) AND the featback that he gets about what is running or not for this list.
3) I think making a script that builds knoppix from scratch would be a different project.

I want to build a script, that reads a CD, start chroot bash to modify it, make the iso-image and burn it if you have a CD-Writer in addition to the cd knoppix is running from!

I hope I hve not understood your project wrong, have I?

Have a nice day

Achim