[debian-knoppix] dual boot - windows first (was: dual boot with Win2K)

installing windows before knoppix is the better way. i had various
problems re-installing windows 98 se on a second partition:

i assumed the windows installation would copy its bootloader to the hard
drive it would be installed on right before the first reboot. just in
case i let the setup create a bootdisk.
* problem 1: no bootloader, just an error message.
* problem 2: the bootdisk booted me to a clean A:\> prompt, it neither
started the setup nor windows itself.
no problem... i tried to get to the next step of the installation by
running setup again.
* problem 3: setup starts all over again.
then i tried to run windows in case it would be the one managing the
setup
* problem 4: windows failed to load because of a wrong fat32 type (which
i created with dos fdisk.. go figure)
my decision was to f*ck windows and return to linux so i grabbed my
knoppix cd, ready to delete the fat32 partition and to resize linux to
the full hd.
* problem 5: i don't know why exactly.. but parted was unable to resize
the linux partition because of "unknown filesystem features".
my only chance was to back up the linux partition with partimage, which
i did. i then deleted the linux partition and recreated it to span the
whole hd. i restored the backed up partition.
* problem 6: fsck had to restore several inodes, all superblocks... and
a few other filesystem problems.

only after that procedure (which took me at least 2 hrs) my knoppix hd
installation worked the way it did before. of course win98se is old, but
i wouldn't count on win2k being more gentle with your hd... :)

--lasty