Re: [debian-knoppix] free space on Knoppix

Hello list,

The gnome-session problem (gnome-session eating 200Mb of memory) can
be resolved by installing the unstable fontconfig and libxft2 packages:

root@not a tty[/]# apt-get install -t unstable fontconfig libxft2
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  libexpat1 libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1
Get:1 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main libexpat1-dev 1.95.6-3 [109kB]
Get:2 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main libexpat1 1.95.6-3 [54.8kB]
Get:3 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main libfontconfig1 2.1.90-1 [74.0kB]
Get:4 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main fontconfig 2.1.90-1 [65.2kB]
Get:5 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main libxft2 2.1-7 [33.6kB]

This gives a working Gnome version on the Knoppix 2003-01-20 that previously
eat up 200Mb.

There are, however, some issues with Openoffice.org font handling now -
fonts seem not to show up sometimes. You might want to install a Debianized
Openoffice.org, if that's feasible, of course.

I did not "stress test" this installation, but it starts Gnome and KDE, and
runs a couple of applications, so I presume it's quite all right.

V.
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions
Valentijn Sessink  valentyn+sessink@nospam.openoffice.nl