Re: [debian-knoppix] Official release.

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 02:49:21 +0100

> Maybe it's just me, but all my attempts to get a working Gnome 2.x
> out of the Debian repositories have failed so far and always ended
> with an unusable Gnome environment. So, I have removed Gnome in the
> next release, until there are working packages for it that don't
> require me to delete 50% of other packages on the CD.

Yeah, Klaus, it's just you ;-)
I showed you my system at Chemnitz with a working KDE and GNOME
environment :-)
The problem however is that both GNOME and KDE need too much space on
one CD. It's better to have a full featured/fully working KDE or GNOME
version on KNOPPIX rather than a stripped down GNOME/KDE environment.
If GNOME gets totally removed from KNOPPIX people might call KNOPPIX KDE
only but I don't think that's a big problem.

> Christian Meyer volunteered to create a special Gnome edition of
> Knoppix with his team by removing KDE and adding a modified and
> preconfigured version of Gnome 2.2, so that is what they are probably
> doing right now at gnoppix.org.

We're still looking for a build host as you know :)
Our alpha server isn't the most appropriate system ;-)
By the time when you've totally removed GNOME from KNOPPIX we'll have it
on our GNOPPIX version, so people can choose whether they want to boot
KDE or GNOME. It's sad that there's hardly enough space for both
environments, but we can't do much about it.

Greetings,
Christian