Re: [debian-knoppix] Official release.

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:32:28PM +0100, ROSSEL Olivier wrote:
> Well, as I read archives of this list, it seems that we will
> probably see a split of Knoppix between one version with KDE 3.1
> and one with Gnome 2.2, but not both.
> (I may have misunderstood, it seems that Knoppix and Gnoppix
> will coexist pacifically. Am I wrong?)

Maybe it's just me, but all my attempts to get a working Gnome 2.x
out of the Debian repositories have failed so far and always ended with
an unusable Gnome environment. So, I have removed Gnome in the next
release, until there are working packages for it that don't require me
to delete 50% of other packages on the CD.

Christian Meyer volunteered to create a special Gnome edition of Knoppix
with his team by removing KDE and adding a modified and preconfigured
version of Gnome 2.2, so that is what they are probably doing right now
at gnoppix.org.

> Before that, will Klaus release an "official" Knoppix version?

Since I don't know how far they are with their Gnome version, there
is no way for me to answer this question.

> I read that there is an event soon (some kind of LinuxExpo
> somewhere). Is it the occasion for Klaus to provide a "stable"
> release?

CeBit 2003. It is not a special Linux event, but the world's largest
IT and telecommunications fair, AFAIK. http://www.cebit.de/homepage_e
I will be in Hall 11, booth D42 most of the time.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org