Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Persistent_home. Integrated or not?

Hi!

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 12:46, Eaden McKee wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:35, David GLAUDE Mailing wrote:
> > What if KPH was not using 'knoppix.sh' but 'persitent.sh' and what if
> > this 'persitent.sh' was put on the ISO (EN/DE).
> >
> > And what if there was yet another option in Knoppix boot line to specify
> > the name of the "knoppix.sh" script to use at boot.
> <snip>
> > Is it any way a good idea(TM) or not?
>
> Yes I think so.
> I think there should be a persistant.sh, and it should be a cheatcode.
> knoppix ph
> which then runs "persistant.sh" on the cd.

Personally i think, both ideas are great! So it's on the cd but only
used when you cast the spell "ph" (and it really should not be any
longer) at the bootprompt. Nice! ;-)

It should not be used by default, because:
- The knoppix users would be forced to use KPH - or at least they have
  to live with it. That's clearly not what i want!
- There might appear bugs or side effects because of KPH, thus degrading
  knoppix' quality. You never know...
- At least everyone has to deal with a slightly longer boot time -
  especially if they don't have a persistent home (because KPH will have
  to search through every partition which is bound to fail)

For the name:
knoppix.sh certainly has to be renamed. The current name is only used to
exploit knoppix' "floppyconf" feature.

After all, it can only be Klaus' decision! For me either ways are ok,
but a short statement on this would be nice. I got quite some emails
about "when does it get integrated" (and even in the discussion boards)
and i don't really know what to answer. ;-)

Bye,
Matthias