[debian-knoppix] Fwd: Re: farsi version of Knoppix - more info!

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 19:56, Sven Guckes wrote:
> > > * Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> [2003-02-04 13:08]:

> > > is the ISO online anywhere?  please post some more info.
> >
> > Well, we really liked to make available the ISO image, but
> > with our dial up connections, ( and there is no other thing,
> > other than dial up in Iran), we can't upload a 650 MB file.
> > maybe in future, when our of project members goes abroad, and
> > has access to a high speed internet access, we will upload it.
>
> but until then this edition of knoppix will
> just be an information on the list, right?
> i do wonder how knoppix ever got into iran
> if noone can afford to download it at all..
>
> maybe you should tell us more about linux in iran.
>
> who uses linux?  students?
> does the GPL apply at all?
> how many users are there?
> who knows about knoppix?
> post to the mailing list!
> but until then this edition of knoppix will
> just be an information on the list, right?
> i do wonder how knoppix ever got into iran
> if noone can afford to download it at all..

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 21:03, Arash Zeini wrote:

I participated in a conference in India
(www.sarai.net), where the KNOPPIX CD was distributed
between the participants. At the same time Aryan had
read about KNOPPIX too and had posted something about
it to our http://www.linuxiran.org.

So KNOPPIX came to Iran from India, by me carrying one
in my bag after the conference. We all agreed that
this is the best way to spread the word about
GNU/Linux and FarsiKDE.

Now, there are ways to download huge ISO images, but
you need to know someone, I would say who works at an
ISP or at certain governmental organizations. Most
people however do have only access to a dial up.

> maybe you should tell us more about linux in iran.

Well, GNU/Linux is quite a new and unknown story in
Iran, but we have the feeling that it is picking up
more and more and we hope to see it soon on desktops
as well.

With projects like FarsiKDE and linuxiran.org we try
to contribute to this growth.
I feel it will sooner or later find its ways to the
governmental organizations.

> who uses linux?  students?

Students are def. among the most interested users.

> does the GPL apply at all?

According to the law yes, but no law applies in Iran
anyhow :)

> how many users are there?

Very difficult to say!

> who knows about knoppix?

Up to now, very little. Maybe after Shabdix comes out,
some more will know about it!

> post to the mailing list!

Sorry for posting to two of you, but I am currently
home and no access to my computer, so I am posting
from  Yahoo! May you can forward it to the mailing
list!

Grüße,
Arash Zeini

PS: If there is enough interest, we can send the ISO
images to someone, who can then upload it to some servers!