Re: [debian-knoppix] OT: JP characters

On ¦ÅûÇ¢ 31 ¨¾ 2003 7:36 À¢À, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
[...]

Well, if there are any experts with all these encodings and issues please let
me know. I like what the original post from Kinneko suggested w.r.t enabling
locale specific translation through messages catalogs. Would love to give a
hand if any such moves are made.

I do not think this list is for most of the issues raised below, (if) so
apologies in advance.

But as Gilles has posted few mails in succession to a truly global audience it
turns out some of the puzzles are sorted out for me.... :-)

Just analysing the mail headers
Yesterday *Gilles* replied to Kinneko
as such
--------------

Also posted on another topic
as such (re: debian installer....)
--------------

but your Kmail carried carried my 'UTF-8' charset through the list back to me
as such
--------------
So it seems your Kmail is intelligently obeying the settings
(under config-->charset ? - My localised Kmail messages are not helpful here!)
You must have the charset 'iso-2022-jp' configured into your Kmail.
If so your original question is answered I guess.

> No. You now see what I see, I suppose.
>
> > Lets note that Kinneko sent the mail as such
> > -------
> > ------
>
> I tried saving a file with the said neet characters on my system and it
> doesn't work: they all change to "?" .  They don't look very good on
> mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix either.

One needs fonts to see what is encoded.
I doubt whether you have the Tamil fonts. Unless you are running Mandrake 9.0
with all the fonts it shipped with (making Tamil the first indic language to
be supported by a major distro). Japaneese fonts are more common though.
I think with web publishing (instead of a local copy rendered y different
means) things are a bit more complicated.

> I sent myself a message with those characters and it came back coded as
> utf-8. So, maybe it has something to do with KMail recoding in Unicode or
> iso 10646 , despite what you say below.)
> (See: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html)
Yes a good resource.

As Knoppix is excellent advocacy material (why I persistently lurk this list)
and there is a world out there, GNOME 2.x supporting unicode through Pango
[pango.org] is excellent news. The website seems to be down in recent times
though.

> [...] But if somebody can
> explain simply, surely I'll listen.

I will  be greatful too. But maybe offlist (unless many others want to
know...)

> > On Ţ¡Æý 30 ¨¾ 2003 7:38 À¢À, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
>
> I'm afraid this is not Tamil again.
You mean the 'fancy' date format is all '?' ?

Regards

Ram