[debian-knoppix] OT: JP characters

On January 31, 2003 05:16 am, you wrote:

> Žì¸õ,
>
> Gilles can you see the above greeting in Tamil with iso 8859-1 alone.

No. You now see what I see, I suppose.

> Lets note that Kinneko sent the mail as such
> -------
> ------

I tried saving a file with the said neet characters on my system and it
doesn't work: they all change to "?" .  They don't look very good on
mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix either.

I sent myself a message with those characters and it came back coded as utf-8.
So, maybe it has something to do with KMail recoding in Unicode or iso 10646
, despite what you say below.)
(See: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html)

> Tamil is encoded (apart from the new unicode standard which only GNOME's
> pango libs render -- not in KDE) in KDE via a non standard trick to work as
> iso 8859-1.

> I have been desperately trying to understand this for some time now.
>
> May be if you could explain the question and any issues a bit more in
> detail.

I'm afraid you already know much more than I.  My interest in the matter is
certainly too slight for me to grant the effort. But if somebody can explain
simply, surely I'll listen.

> On Ţ¡Æý 30 ¨¾ 2003 7:38 À¢À, Gilles Pelletier wrote:

I'm afraid this is not Tamil again.

GP
--
La Masse critique