Re: [debian-knoppix] prepare KDE 3.1 integration in Knoppix

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:49, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > The packages size of KDE 3.1 will be bigger than actual so we'll have to
> > change Knoppix software configuration.
> > Can we discuss about that in order to prepare the best KDE 3.1
> > integration in Knoppix?
> I am interesting in preparing a version of Knoppix for distribution to
> public libraries in the U.S.  The intent is for general KDE promotion and I
> would like to use KDE 3.1.
>
> I read the remastering HOWTO's at
> http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
> and
> http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.php.
>
> Am I wrong, or would this be pretty simple?  Just delete a ton of packages,
> install kde3.1, make whatever other tweaks I want, then remaster the CD.

Yes, basicly that. However, Knoppix uses a mix of testing and unstable and
stable( ? ), and the 3.1 packages released for debian are for woody only.
They will not install smoothly, but you may be able to get them going. The
debs for unstable will be out reasonable soon, with a gcc3.2 compiled X, qt,
and kde 3.1.

b.t.w. Klaus, there are lots more programs for kde that weren't there before.
If I make a remaster that is _Just_ kde 3.1 + kde3.1 apps, I get to 300M
total, so you'll have to make some tough decisions on what stays and what
goes :)
These are the debs I use,
http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/ which have
lots of extra programs, and aegypten stuff as well.

Regards
Eaden McKee