Re: [debian-knoppix] system hang when doing heavy file access

>From Klaus Knopper on Tuesday, 2002-12-03 at 14:38:53 +0100:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:11:22PM +0800, Rex Tsai wrote:
> > Hi
> >   I'm trying to copy whole knoppix into hard disk.
> >
> >   There was a strange thing happened, when doing cp -Rp /KNOPPIX on the
> > knoppix, it hangs all the time. And I tryed
> > "find / -type f -exec md5sum {} \;" for test, it hanged again.
> >
> >   I compile the cloop kernel module, and mount the Knoppix CD
> >     "sh /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /some/where/to/mount"
> >   and cp -Rp /KNOPPIX, it still frozen. :-(
> >
> >   I'm not sure it's hardware problem or is a problem of "cloop" ? Does
> > anyone have this problem, too ?

I had this same problem, using Debian testing, both with
kernel-image-2.4.19-686 and kernel-image-2.4.20-686.
But I finally found my way around the problem.

Part of the solution was to use KNOPPIX-2003-01-20, installed
to the hard disk.  The advantage here would appear to be the
more recent version of the cloop-module.

The other thing I noticed that appears to be helpful is to
first copy the compressed image KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX to a disk
partition, and then to mount it with cloop.  Previously
I had been mounting the Knoppix CD on loopback, and then
mounting KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX on top of *that*.

> I think this is a kernel bug, but it does indeed sometimes occur when using
> cloop.  It seems to be hardware-dependend, too, since it does not happen
> on all boards.
>
> You may want to try again with Kernel 2.4.20, I think they changed
> something there in the block reading layer.

Just for the record, I have a P-IV 2.4 GHz with a SiS motherboard,
and 512MB RAM with 2 GB of swap.  I thought that should be plenty,
and I was dismayed when the system first hung.

Conrad