Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

On January 24, 2003 04:18 am, Christian Perle wrote:

Bonjour Christian,

> Hi Gilles,

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:16:45 -0500, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> > Unfortunately, pretty much all the information on the net about
> > kdx-hdinstall points to:

> > http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

> Not my fault. I am not responsible for documentation written by others. And
> I don't have the time to check each and every document which describes
> Knoppix harddisk installation.

I do understand that :)

> Anyway, I will send a patched version of the document mentioned above
> to the author. But I am only doing this ONCE.

So we agree that it cannot be a long term solution. What's the solution, since
this is certainly bound to happen again?

Since a changelog is not enough to help newbies for the installation, I
believe you should have those few lines of instructions on YOUR site. I also
believe that there should be a link front row center on Klaus' site to your
site.

But it seems Klaus is not very willing to put links to anybody's project
if he's got no time to check the work and give his imprimatur. On the other
hand, he does make links to 3 knoppix sites...

Nobody can feel more sorry than me about this situation, as I think installing
Knoppix on the hard disk is a must. Maybe Klaus thinks someday Debian
developpers will wake up and use his work to make the installation easier so
he can continue his project and forget about the rest.

Maybe, maybe not. Debian developpers have produced great work but I installed
Debian recently and the installation script reminded me of the story about a
camel being a dromedary drawn by a committee. If the Debian community had any
intention of using Klaus' work for installation, I believe we would have
learnt about it by now.

I don't know what to say except this: I don't believe in the often praised
Linux anarchist organization. I believe that for anything to work, a minimal
organisation is needed, a self-sustaining, auto-regulating organisation, but
an organisation nonetheless.

For instance, if I ever get to bring my tutorial to fruition, after reviewing
it many times,  before I put it officially on-line, I will submit it to the
community so that everybody can comment about it. In other words, I don't
believe in wikis. Like Boileau, I believe in "Vingt fois sur le métier
remettez votre ouvrage".

I believe such contributions should eventually be evaluated by Klaus and links
made to the sites that contribute the best effort. Of course, Klaus wouldn't
be held responsible for everything revolving around Knoppix, but good will
and application should be things relatively easy to evaluate for a competent
programmer :)

In the end, if trusted people take care of HD installation, documentation,
multimedia, whatever, it should end up being less work for him.

Knoppix is Klaus Knopper's distro and he's the one that must take decisions on
where it's headed. Giving some thought to structure might not be a very
interesting challenge for a guy who's deep into programming, but in the end,
it will certainly save A LOT of headaches.

I wish him the best of lucks.

Gilles Pelletier
--
La Masse critique