[debian-knoppix] Booting Knoppix from a CD-Rom attached via pcmcia

Hi,

at first: thank you so much for knoppix, it is very great !!

I have one small problem:
I have a sony notebook and the cdrom is not inside the notebook: it is attached via pcmcia.
when I try to boot from Knoppix I get:

Cant' find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

Additional builtin commands available:
cat mount umount
insmod rmmod lsmod

(when I type lsmod, I get no loaded modules)
(the cd works ok on many other computers so I assume it is ok)

Has anyone tested to boot from a cdrom drive attached via usb or firewire ? Is this better ?

Can you help me ?
(Do I need to remaster the cd and include some pcmcia modules initrd ?)

bye
tom