Re: [debian-knoppix] Booting Knoppix from a CD-Rom attached via pcmcia

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:17:03 +0100, Thomas Bley wrote:

> I have one small problem:
> I have a sony notebook and the cdrom is not inside the notebook: it is
> attached via pcmcia.
> when I try to boot from Knoppix I get:
>
> Cant' find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

This happens because Knoppix can't find the CDROM drive. Knoppix only
supports ATAPI or SCSI CDROM drives. The kernel modules necessary for
PCMCIA support will not fit on the boot floppy image.

However, there is a solution for this on some Sony machines. The CDROM
drive is accessible as an ATAPI device on a special I/O port range.
Seems to be some kind of IDE emulation over PCMCIA, which is transparent,
so you don't need PCMCIA drivers.

At Knoppix boot prompt, type:

knoppix nopcmcia ide1=0x180,0x386

This works at least for the Sony Vaio PCG N505SN.

> Has anyone tested to boot from a cdrom drive attached via usb or
> firewire ? Is this better ?

No, it is worse, as long as there is no transparent IDE emulation as
described above. On a newer Sony model (Sony Vaio PCG SRX51P) with
CDROM connected via iLink (Firewire), Knoppix can only be booted over
net from another machine using the Knoppix terminalserver feature.
Once Knoppix is running, "modprobe ohci1394" is sufficient to make the
CDROM work, but it is not available at boot time.

> Can you help me ?
> (Do I need to remaster the cd and include some pcmcia modules initrd ?)

No, but you want to remaster with changes (ide1=...) in syslinux.cfg
on the boot floppy image.

bye,
  Chris
--