Re: [debian-knoppix] syslinux bug??? Strange options in /proc/cmdline

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:23:46PM +0100, Valentijn Sessink wrote:

> > Last Step, a new iso with mkisofs with -b myboot.img.
>
> Yes, that's what I did - exactly that.

ok

> > > After a lot of fruitless hacking I looked at /proc/cmdline - I should have
> > > done that earlier - and saw something like
> > > ################# 000 <other options>
> > dont know, but it`s kind of windows, to check all hdx if ther`s
>
> What do you mean by "it's kind of windows"?

maybe there`s another way :). You read the syslinux.conf ?

APPEND lang=foo ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off
hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi
vga=normal initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=foo

if you`re using your own CD, you can remove the lines =scsi
and replace it with your settings, it makes no sense to keep
it in the config. You can also define other keymaps or fonts.
documention from syslinux says more.

> > a CD-ROM or any other devices. If you change the kernel you have
> > to patch it cause of those longer boot options.
>
> Patch the kernel? I did not compile it in the first place - I use the
> regular Knoppix kernel.

just a idea, if i saw there`s a kernelpatch for longer append lines.

> > > the "######" seemed to result from the user-config at the end of the
> > > syslinux.cfg file. Adding "append=foo###################bar" resulted in
> > > /proc/cmdline to show "#########bar 000 <.....>" (The "000" is the end of
> > > the ramdisksize specification).
> > which parts you modified ?
>
> I modified the ####'s at the end of syslinux.cfg to start with "foo" and

those # are comments, as i said better to keep it untouched, use
the default entry. i`ve no idea, why there are there, maybe somebody
other knows that :)