Re: [debian-knoppix] syslinux bug??? Strange options in /proc/cmdline

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:18:52PM +0100, Valentijn Sessink wrote:

> I'm running a modified Knoppix that behaves strange and leaves me wondering.

i hope on CD :)

> I changed the default desktop in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to be
> "gnome" instead of kde. This resulted in a German version - although I
> chose the boot-en bootdisk.

i this case first you copy hole CD to a new DIR than
you mount the boot.img with loop and edit the file syslinux.conf
there you can define lang=blubb or any other options ex. your wm.
Last Step, a new iso with mkisofs with -b myboot.img.

> After a lot of fruitless hacking I looked at /proc/cmdline - I should have
> done that earlier - and saw something like
> ################# 000 <other options>

dont know, but it`s kind of windows, to check all hdx if ther`s
a CD-ROM or any other devices. If you change the kernel you have
to patch it cause of those longer boot options.

> the "######" seemed to result from the user-config at the end of the
> syslinux.cfg file. Adding "append=foo###################bar" resulted in
> /proc/cmdline to show "#########bar 000 <.....>" (The "000" is the end of
> the ramdisksize specification).

which parts you modified ?

> Is this a buffer overflow in syslinux? I can't think of anything else - but
> it seems rather strange as well. Removing the user configurable last entry
> solves the issue - but leaves me wondering. I have not yet looked if a last
> carriage return helps.
>
> Does anyone know what's going one here??

Cheers
amu