[debian-knoppix] Knoppix: USB to serial adapter

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to use an USB to serial (RS-232) adapter with knoppix 3.1 - 01
jan 2003 release (the adapter uses a Prolific PL2303 USB to serial
converter whose driver is available in the knoppix kernel modules as I can
read in the kernel documentation).

I already successfully used this cable with a Redhat 8.0, where the serial
driver is attached to the device /dev/ttyUSB0.

On the contrary, knoppix seems not to recognize the USB to serial adapter
because I cannot collect data from /dev/ttyUSB0 (or other /dev/ttyUSB
devices) when I connect computer to modem by the adapter. Furthermore, I
cannot understand if the kernel has recognized the cable because its log is
disabled.

How can I start the kernel logging in knoppix to check the adapter
recognition ? Are there specific issues for this kind of hardware ?

Please replay to my email address.

Thanks in advance.

Achille.