Re: [debian-knoppix] interesting remark about keyboards layout & languages

> > an user of knoppixfr forums submit an interesting note :

That was me and I tryed to convince Knopper already. ;-)

> > knoppix lang=fr -> start knoppix with french language & french keyboard
layout
> > knoppix lang=fr keyb=chr -> start knoppix with french language and
switzerland
> > romand keyboard layout.

I guess a keyb=xxx option is better than many
lang=be
lang=chr
lang=...
Not counting country that have not one but many official language (and
de-facto standard).

My concearn is that I like english as a language and belgian is my keyboard.

> In knoppix-autoconfig, the most common keyboard of the specified country
> is used by default. You can change keyboard separately from the language
> in KDE with right-Mouseclick on the Keyboard symbol in the lower right
> corner of your screen, and for the console, use loadkeys.
>
> > Can it be done ?
>
> Yes, but for the moment I think that the point-and-click variant is way
> more convenient than another boot option. Plus, you can still use your
> customized settings with knoppix.sh/floppyconf.

I did not try to use knoppix.sh for this (nor floppyconf).
Every time I boot I click-click-click and it work for me.
However in order to make customised/localised Knoppix CD for French speaking
Belgian
or other it would be nice to have an easy way to customise the iso or
provide a special floppy for that matter. Generating modified ISO or
modified floppy is plain simple when it's only about boot command.

What would be the typical content of a knoppix.sh file?
What would be the best way to modify relevant file?... patch file,
overwrite, ... ???
What about keeping our various knoppix.sh file in sync with change of
KDE/Gnome/... config file from version to version?

Now the nice thing about knoppix.sh is that we could remove some
documentation pdf / free music / duplicate floppy image and replace them
with localisation data (french dictionnary, french keyboard, ...) and the
whole thing would be setup by a knoppix.sh.

Actually maybe that the way it should be done to differentiate German from
English. If the KNOPPIX file would be a bit smaller (with localised stuff
moved to another files tgz? deb?) then there would be more space for
alternative localised stuff).

I know things like that have been investigated or discussed here, but maybe
this is the good reason for doing it.

David GLAUDE