Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem with respawning gettys too fast

Thanks Eduard.

> I would like to see the inittab file. The problem you describe are known
> from some non-i386 users where some hardware specific bug appeared that
> way.

Well this is a Pentium II, a Dell maybe five years old.

> Compre this with lines in your inittab.
>
> # Format:
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
> 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
> 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
> 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
> 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Yeah, that's what it has - I haven't altered it any from the Knoppix
version. The box had been running Red Hat 6.2 with a 2.2 kernel for a couple
years with no complaints or errors, but today I ssh into it and it's lost
track of a drive partition. When I check the /dev sequence now sda has
disappeared. What the heck would be eating device entries? It's a Quantum
SCSI drive - could there be an incompatibility with the Knoppix kernel's
SCSI support?

Maybe the hardware is just too old? It's just stock Dell bios settings on
Dell parts inside ... not that I'm a fan of Dell, but the client shop
believes in it. Time to throw some tests at the CPU and memory and try to
come up with objective evidence that the client needs to buy a new box.

Not the first time I've seen hardware crap out when stressed by new software
- if that's what it is here - but it's also the hardest time to spot it
since the first suspicion is the software's not configured right.

Whit