[debian-knoppix] Problem with MySQL respawning gettys to fast

Hi,

Did a hard drive install from KNOPPIX_V3.1-08-11-2002-EN that's been apt-get
update/upgraded. Things look very good, except that it gets into a situation
where gettys 2 and 6 get shut down for repeated 5 minute periods by init for
"respawning too fast". Once gettys 2 is down, can't start X either.

Here's what's running when this happens:

# ps -A
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:17 init
    2 ?        00:00:02 keventd
    3 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd_CPU0
    4 ?        00:00:00 kswapd
    5 ?        00:00:00 bdflush
    6 ?        00:00:00 kupdated
    8 ?        00:00:00 scsi_eh_1
   74 ?        00:00:00 khubd
   81 ?        00:00:00 kapmd
  159 ?        00:00:00 portmap
  504 ?        00:00:01 syslogd
  507 ?        00:00:00 klogd
  524 ?        00:00:00 inetd
  680 ?        00:00:00 sshd
  738 ?        00:00:00 atd
  741 ?        00:00:00 cron
  747 tty4     00:00:00 getty
  748 tty5     00:00:00 getty
 1143 tty1     00:00:00 getty
 1144 tty3     00:00:00 getty
 9077 ?        00:00:03 sshd
 9079 pts/0    00:00:00 bash

So which of these daemons is bugging init with too may respawns on tty2 and
tty6? Could this be related to my switching from dhcp to a fixed address on
the local ethernet interface (which I did by editing
/etc/network/interfaces) - some daemon I need to kill off that was
associated with that?

Thanks,
Whit