Re: [debian-knoppix] Some thoughts&questions about knoppix...

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:20:20AM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:

> The floppy drives should do fine, but I am still not fond of the idea of
> maintaining different images for floppy and CD-Rom boot. And are you sure
> that all bioses support the 2.88 eltorito boot option?

You can't be sure about anything with eltorinto (el toronto?) but I'm very
sure that if booting CD works at all, 2,8 MB images will do.
(I have never heard that 1,4 MB works and 2,8 not)

But 1720 kb floppy disks are really crap, sometimes they don't work or they are
really slow, besides that it is not so easy to write them from a MS
System.

> I try to stick to the 1.44MB image as long as possible. ;-)

Or use isolinux, but there are a lot of bioses where this doesn't work.
(kernel + initrd all as your ram can eat ;)) )

> But maybe some of the older SCSI modules can be removed or put on another
> module disk?

Possible, but I think 2 disks are just more straight forward, because
especially people with old SCSI adapters will need the disks.

Investing much work in this is not worth, someone with a computer that
is so old or crappy that it is not able to boot from CD will have the
time to use a second disk.
Besides that: The kernel is getting bigger and bigger.

For the moment you could gain some space with UPX.

     File size         Ratio      Format      Name
 928470 ->    871111   93.82%  bvmlinuz/386   vmlinuz

I have tried it and it works for me...
modified bootdisk from 08-05-2002: http://ijuz.uugrn.org/boot-de.img

Regards
Christian Leber

--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)